Comparison between Nikon D200 and Canon 20D/30D.

Dear members:

In order to utilize several Nikon lenses I already own I have been thinking
about purchasing a Nikon D200. I just recently sold an used Nikon D70 I had
and have already closed a deal on my Canon 20D.

To place things into the proper perspective, I have a Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II
that I use as my main camera. The Nikon D70 was purchased 2 and 1/2 years
ago and has been replaced by a Canon 20D that I have been using as my second
camera whenever I don't feel like carrying the weight or the value of the
EOS 1Ds around with me. The 20D produces great results but I just feel sorry
to have all those excellent Nikkor lenses stacked in a drawer without using
them.

After reading some reviews I am just as confused as I was before reading
them as they point in different directions. Some compare the D200 with
Canon's 5D claiming that both represent the latest designs from both
companies. These articles claim that comparing the D200 to the 30D wouldn't
be fair as the 30D represents technology that is more than a year old.
Others compare the D200 to the 20D/30D since they in the same price point
and the 5D is so much more expensive (this would be my rational for
exchanging the 20D for the D200).

What are your opinions and impressions from both cameras ? Are there any
members that either own or have worked with both cameras that could provide
some input on the differences between them and which is a better camera ?

Some reviews I've read state that the D200 is a better engineered camera,
with more ergonomically arranged controls, better and faster focusing,
better optical quality and some other features not found on the Canon
mid-priced bodies (20 D, 30 D and 5 D). However, they also state that Canon
has invested its development efforts on the development of its own sensors,
image processing chips and algorithms, which result in better image quality.
I haven't worked with the D200 but based on my experience with the D70 and
20 D I would have to say that Canon's image quality is superior to that
produced by Nikon (as far as my very limited experience is concerned).

Comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Joseph Chamberlain, D.D.S.