Re: A lens in need is a lens indeed.........

fotofx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hey Russ,

My suggestion to everyone who asks about Sigma is to run, not walk the other way. I have over 30 years experience in photography, both as a shooter and as a retail sales person. Sigma does not now, nor have they ever made a lens that I think is worth a plugged nickel. My apologies to those that love and adore your Sigma but if you have seen what I have, I would see you agree, in seconds. They use poor grade construction materials in all of their product line. Cheap plastics, glues that run and don't stick and tape to hold elements in place. Not to mention they use cheesey tapes to attach circuit boards in the lens.

I have heard these horror stories but, hasn't Sigma improved with their newest lenses? I thought their 400 with HSM was pretty good as is their 180 macro. Other than those two I might agree with you .

When was the last time you heard of a  Canon  lens needed to be rechipped / updated because it was not compatible with current bodies (the exception are the EF-S lenses).

Canon lenses never need rechipping for compatibility problems..... Sigma, as I understand, didn't want to pay the license fees to get the Canon lens-body interface.

Isn't the EF-S lens thing a mechanical thing?

There is a real reason the lenses are so much cheaper than factory stuff. The lenses are the most important investment in your kit - NOT THE BODY-.  Bodies will come and go but the lens' life is considerably longer.

I have believed this for a long time. Prior to digital all the body did was expose and move the film. The lens does all the correct color transmission, sharpness, and distortionless stuff.

I have a 70-200 2.8 L with over 100k shots through and it is just now starting to show it's age. I bought it from a rental department where I used to work, in 1997. If you love creating images, step up to the plate and get the tools needed to do the job correctly. To me any thing else for a pro, is half way.
BTW did you update your firmware for your 10D? If so that could be one of the issues. But most likely it is the electronics board in the lens is shot.  Try cleaning the contacts on both the camera and the lens just in case it is a simple fix

I guess the question is, is it worth the hassle of repairing a cheap lens that lasted 1.5 years or is it better to get something else. Hey, it's tax deductable.

Here is a better lens for you at B&H. Canon USA Price : $ 419.95 Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens
Take care, and I hope you solve your issue.

Les Baldwin

Bob

--

                          /////