Re: Professional Lens

Hi Greg

  I don't know what circus you went to but most events that charge admission (sports, concerts, etc) have a policy of no commercial photography without permission of the management. The security guards are only doing what they were told. Long lens equals professional gear equals comercial photography. My advice is if you want to photograph such an event with anything other than a point & shoot, get a letter from the management beforehand. If I am on an assignment, the publication I'm doing it for has already cleared this and when I check into the event's press office (usually ahead of time), I'm generally given some sort of special pass by them. And I have access to areas the paying public do not have access to.

  A press card might help (even a phony one) but you must understand that the distinction between editorial and commercial photography is usually lost on security people. If they think you are a professional, that means you are shooting for the market and hence violating their policy if you don't have permission. The event may be open to the public but if you bought a ticket, you are implicitly agreeing to their policy. Some events even have some statement to that effect on the back of the ticket.

  I agree that the mere possession of a long lens somehow identifiying you as a working pro is silly. But it's for that very reason (and the fact that such gear is rather noticeable) that I sometimes leave my regular gear behind and just take my Olympus 5050. No long lens (not my style anyway; I like to get physically close if possible) but a nice fast f1.8 at the focal lengths I usually use. Great for shooting in low light, especially with RAW.

                                                                                                                          Richard

Gregory Fraser <Gregory.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I took the kids to the circus last night and I wanted to test some low light hand held photography. I brought with me my old Tamron 80-200 zoom which is about 8" long. I was soon approached by a security guard who asked me 'Is that a long lens?' 'Not to me,' I replied. I was informed that any lens longer than her thumb was considered a professional lens and I was not allowed to use it.
I laughed in her face. My Rebel and my eBay 20 year old Tamron!
With 6 kids watching the show I decided to let it go thinking she would find someone else more rewarding to harass but everytime I turned around she was right there.
Next time I'll print up a 'Circus News' press pass and get a better shooting position. Of course I'll have to bring my collapsable Kodak flash bulb holder to really impress them.

Greg