Re: Professional Lens

: I took the kids to the circus last night and I wanted to test some low
light hand held photography. I brought with me my old Tamron 80-200 zoom
which is about 8" long. I was soon approached by a security guard who asked
me 'Is that a long lens?' 'Not to me,' I replied. I was informed that any
lens longer than her thumb was considered a professional lens and I was not
allowed to use it.
: I laughed in her face. My Rebel and my eBay 20 year old Tamron!
: With 6 kids watching the show I decided to let it go thinking she would
find someone else more rewarding to harass but everytime I turned around
she was right there.
: Next time I'll print up a 'Circus News' press pass and get a better
shooting position. Of course I'll have to bring my collapsable Kodak flash
bulb holder to really impress them.

Come on Greg, use your wits to confound them!

I strongly recommend disassembling the lens, secreting the bits about
various children and reassembling it once inside.  Alternatively use a
number of children all at once to distract the guard by having them wander
up to guards crying and saying they're lost.

Children can be a very handy addition to your photographic gadget bag