Re: scanners

I'm using it, too. It has Digital Ice, which automatically excludes scratches and tiny dirt on the film. Quite impressive.

If your film has discolored because of age and fungus, there is another setting that attempts to "rescue" the original color and detail, but it can only do so much, especially if the film is severely damaged. Despite this, I find the machine immensely important for my project of digitizing old negatives exposed as early as the 70s.

The largest image it can produce is about 9x14 inches on 300 ppi. If someone else can male one larger using this scanner, I'd appreciate knowing the method.

And, by the way, it spends about two minutes scanning each frame using Digital Ice. That might be slow by current standards, but faster than chemical retouching.

Richard Martin wrote:
I use a Nikon Coolscan IV, which I've had for several years. It
will scan negatives (35mm) but I've only used it to scan slides.
Works fine for those, even Kodachrome, for which it has a
separate setting.

The only problem with the Coolscan IV is the shallow depth of
field. That can present difficulties when scanning film that's
not perfectly flat. I've heard this is an issue with all the
Nikon film scanners. My solution with such slides is to scan
with the focus in the center of the image, then scan with the
focus set in one or more corners, then combine them in
Photoshop. Happily I rarely have to do that.
I use the software that came with the scanner. Some people say
you can get better results with VueScan or Silverfast,
especially if you are scanning negatives.

                                                Richard