----- Original Message -----
From: "David Dyer-Bennet"

: For me the point of a B&W camera would be that it should be more than
: a stop faster; the Bayer filter blocks 2/3 of the light at each pixel.
: Also higher luminance resolution of course, but that's more a
: technical point than an important artistic or usability issue. (And
: for the things I need the extra stop or so I certainly don't need
: 48MP; a 6MP B&W camera made with current sensor tech would be lovely.)

4 pixels are covered by the Bayer array to yield GRGB - 4 photo sites to
make a single pixel

A 6Mp camera is actually a 24Mp already, with 3/4 of the photosites
effectively unavailable to us :(

..plus that extra stop you mentioned :)

: It'd also be nice to remove the IR filter while we're at it, so it
: could be an IR camera with good sensitivity.

The Sony high enders do that - it's a nice feature :)

: I thought one of the MF backs was up into the low 40s in megapixels?
: Maybe it's only 39. May still be pointless, but somebody made it and
: people are buying it -- for rather a lot of money even.

Oooooh! - 40Mp x 4 = 160Mp.. too much for me! ;)

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,
Higher College of Technology
Muscat