Re: 6Mp colour to B&W

David Dyer-Bennet

4 pixels are covered by the Bayer array to yield GRGB - 4 photo sites to
> make a single pixel

Yes, I know.

seems we're both a bit out of touch  :/

> A 6Mp camera is actually a 24Mp already, with 3/4 of the photosites
> effectively unavailable to us :(

Nope.  On a 6MP camera there are 6 million photosites

and Herschel Mair adds

:   A 6-Mp (8 Bit) colour image is made from a 6-Mp sensor giving a 6-Mp
(12 Bit) B&W RAW image.
:
:   There is only one photosite per pixel. The colour information is taken
from surrounding pixels (far more than 4) in the demosaicing (RAW
conversion) process.

you're right and my theoretical knowledge needs some updating!  thanks for
the correction on this - both of you..

:   Taking out the bayer array and diffusion sheet would leave you with a
6Mp (12-Bit) B&W

I'm now wondering where I got the idea that there were 4 sites in the
current sensors - were there earlier sensors that used 4 sites per pixel?
Some reading on google tends to suggest this is a method that can be used..
though as you suggest Herschel , demosiacing is certainly what is in use
today.

updating my memory bank now