Re: The death of photo industry - Was Pentax are seeing the light

Jeff Spirer <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> At 01:14 PM 5/29/2006, Qkano wrote:
> >The "process" (by which I mean the type of camera) is important (to
> >those on the Leica list) just as it is to many many of the proud "look
> >at these fantastic digital pictures" who show their crap snapshots.
> >Why say "digital" at all?  I've never felt the real urge to say my
> >pictures are taken with Canon EOS - though occasionally I'll mention
> >the Fujica ST605 for it's antique value.
>
> I agree with you on this.  It's just that it doesn't seem limited to
> digital cameras.  It seems that the more someone spends on a camera,
> the more inclined they are to tell you about the camera rather than
> the photographs they take (or don't take) with it.

Yeah, I see something like that happening too often.  Money is the way
many people in our society show we care -- spending money on cameras
means we care about photography.  Doesn't mean we can take photographs
though.

Also, many photographers, even fairly serious ones, are really poorly
equipped to discuss esthetics.  I'm much more able to talk about
technical flaws than artistic flaws.  So the discussions tend that
way.  This may be especially true in an online forum; this one has a
LOWER than usual percentage of "techies" because of its particular
focus, but there are still a lot of people here whose basic interests
are technical.
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>