The Thumb Nail Effect

RITPFs,

I was looking at two thumb nail pix on the home page of a newspaper today.

One showed a crowd of demonstrators.

If you recognized the flag in the background, good for you.

Otherwise, the picture was remarkably uninformative.

The other showed a tennis player two-handing a back-hand shot.

Her face, gritted teeth, shoulders & racket pretty well filled the frame.

The 'story' in the picture was, well, 'complete'.

And did not invite squinting.

===

It struck me that thumb nail composition was a skill in & of itself.

There is a strong expectation that, if you click on the story or the thumb nail, you get the same picture.

But, actually, what makes a good thumb nail might make a (relatively) poor full-frame shot.

While composition was always an issue, thumb nails seem to go past the edge of that envelope.

Is it just a matter of zoom'n'crop?

Or can/should (would be) photo journalists 'go for the thumb nail shot' as well as the story shot?

Cheers,

/s/ Michael Storch

Ask not what your laptop can do for you,
Ask what you can do with your necktop.