Book Selling

Next Sunday's NYTimes book review has an entertaining essay on how to sell books on the street by Henry Alford. Here's the URL, but I think you have to be a subscriber to look at it -- or wait until next Sunday to buy the paper and read it:

http://select.nytimes.com/preview/2006/05/07/books/1125006797824.html? pagewanted=1&8tpw&emc=tpw

"How to Sell Books by Really Trying"
By HENRY ALFORD
Bookselling really is a matter of one-on-one "hand selling" — as my recent impromptu sidewalk sale showed

Here is a gem:

"The shrewd salesman, I realized, can spin gold from straw, and so I thought up a talking point for each book. "This book will make you very popular at parties," I'd say of the "Homeowner's Guide to Fastening Anything," an instruction manual that has a lot to say about hinges and duct tape. To anyone who gravitated to my old travel guides, I'd say, "Who needs trendy?" After visiting two local used bookstores to compare pricing, I decided to charge 50 cents for paperbacks and a dollar for hardcovers."

As you contemplate going forward with the photoforum book, there may be some advice in these pages! :-)

Seriously, I think you've produced a great book and I wish you great success with it.

Roger