Re: High Speed Camera Application for new user

Thank you K for your prompt reply.

Actually I need to analyze the images that I capture with a software package (Labview) in real time, or as near as possible. I would prefer that the equipment remains stationary. I need more technical details about the type of equipment I need, i.e. how to work out how much detail I can get (smallest feature I can detect), with what type of equipment. For example say I want to detect the door handle on the vehicle from the side of the road. Is that possible at all? and if so what equipment would make it possible?

Thanks again.

From: karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: High Speed Camera Application for new user
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:22:56 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "tdtran tran"

: I'm new to the forum and cameras as a whole.  I'm looking for a camera
for
: high speed application.
: Specifically I need to capture a moving vehicle travelling at 100km/hr
and
<clip>
: I'm not sure where to start learning what I need.  Specifically I would
like
: to know what type of lens I need, setup (how far away to put the camera
: etc), the type of detail I can get, and anything else that may be
relevant.
<clip>
: Could someone please point me in the right direction (texts, online
: materials, someone I can talk to etc).  I'm sorry if this is the wrong
place
: to ask.

A number of methods come to mind, bare with me here as I'm dosed on
medication and prone to make little sense at the best of times..

One method is to clamber aboard a vehicle moving at the same speed in the
same direction then pick whatever lens suits the angle of view you want
(50mm is boring but a 20mm looks nice if you can get low to the ground!)

Another technique involves panning with the vehicle as it passes you, again
choosing an angle of view which best suits your needs..

Finally you could stand 40 feet back with a fisheye and get the vehicle pin
sharp at 1/500th of  second but it'd be kinda small in the frame.

For a sensible comparison of focal lengths created by me in a more lucid
moment, see here:
http://tinyurl.com/cymdc

in this page the word 'perspective' means distance.  I find the series
helps comprehend expansion and compression of detail relative to angle of
view better than many of those pages which show a whole mass of buildings
progressing from teeny dots to a single framed window

..if you catch my drift

Personally I'd prefer to travel at high speed with my subject, it's kinda
fun and you have plenty of opportunities to take lots of shots

1000s of Sexy Singles online now at Lavalife - Click here http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D22031&_t=751140432&_m=EXT