Re: High Speed Camera Application for new user

Finally!

Something I know something about!

Actually I need to analyze the images that I capture with a software package (Labview) in real time, or as near as possible. I would prefer that the equipment remains stationary. I need more technical details about the type of equipment I need, i.e. how to work out how much detail I can get (smallest feature I can detect), with what type of equipment. For example say I want to detect the door handle on the vehicle from the side of the road. Is that possible at all? and if so what equipment would make it possible?

Understand that there is a staggering range of camera equipment that falls under High Speed Imaging.

Shutter speeds to one micro-second ... and faster.

Frame rates to one million/second ... and faster.

Resolution to one million pixels ... and beyond.

Just about anything is *possible*.

So let's start with a few questions:

- what's the budget? (sorry, but are we talkin' $200,000 or $200 or ...)

- how long is the 'event' (or sequence of pictures you want to take)?

- how many images do you want/need during that period of time?

- how fast is the target moving, and at what angle (orthogonal, other) to the sensor?

- what is the distance from the target to the sensor?

- how many pixels do you want of the smallest detail? (eg, 10H x 4V of the door handle)

- how many pixels do you want of the scene?

- what light is available? (HSI Rule #1: if the target ain't smokin', add more light)

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: All that glitters has a high refractive index.

Cheers,

/s/ Michael Storch

Ask not what your laptop can do for you,
Ask what you can do with your necktop.