Re: Why?

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 05:45:10 -0800, Marilyn <marilyn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied
to:

>Since I am new to digital photography I'm running into things I don't understand and can't find the answers for right away("I want the answer NOW!" hollered while stamping my foot {:->).
>
>Why must I run my RAW images through Photoshop or some other program to get the correct coloring of the images?
>
>Right now I download the images, transfer them to Photoshop and go to Adjust, then Auto Levels.  The changes in color when I do this are amazing, but this prevents me from going to a local lab and having the images printed straight from the memory card.
>
>Can this be corrected in-camera?

Yes, but they can't be un-corrected later as nicely ;-)
 - You can set the white balance from auto to daylight or another white balance
which is apropriate for that shot. You can adjust contrast and saturation in
camera either by preprogrammed levels or your own levels. And that's about it
for in camera adjustments. I think you can choose colour space too, woohoo.

Since I almost always shoot RAW, I don't bother with all that fiddle faddle in
camera. I shoot everything at daylight white balance and standard settings.
That's the beauty of RAW, less hassles when shooting, take your time later at
home and tweak the heck out of them.

I always shoot RAW for anything I care about. I put it in my RAW converter
Capture One and adjust everything the way I want, then save a JPG no
compression. I put that in a folder of stuff to take to the lab next time when I
get enough build up in the folder.

This way I get exactly what I want, the optimum image possible, for my equipment
anyway. Once you get used to it, it goes pretty quickly. And unfortunately, not
that many images actually go that far. Most are quick proofed to be held in a
folder as a small JPG for a record of all my shots.

--
Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
http://easternbeaver.com/ Motorcycle Relay Kits,