Update on the book project - guidelines, schedule and stuff

Hopefully this can be taken as an interesting community activity that does not need to be over-regulated or over-justified. I put together a set of low stress guidelines and suggestions. I am not sure if all questions are answered by these instructions but hopefully the basic ones are. I will install this file on the web pending additional suggestions but if you are happy with these just go with it. BTW, I will delete all digital files from my computer but obviously there will be a copy at the printers so they can print on demand. If this bothers you I can't help it and suggest not participating. Again, low stress levels are the rule for this project. I think we can put a book out but I can't promise to track this over an extended period of time. So here are the initial guidelines that are actually in place (but which can be updated as we go along if needed).

              PhotoForum book of member's photographs

1. Participants in the PhotoForum book project will be registered members of the PhotoForum list.

2. Participants submit an image that - in their own judgement - best represented the level of their photographic skills and interests at the time this book project was conceived.

3. The sequencing of the images will be the sole responsibility of the project manager and participants deferr to his/her best artistic/mechanical judgement on the matter.

4. The purpose of the book is for list members to enjoy seeing their work and that of others in a format less perishable than a computer screen.

The book will have an opening page with some text describing who we are as a group and how we operate, where to find us online, why it got started, etc. It would roughly look as seen in the sample layout (illustrated with some student work) mentioned below but accomodating as many PhotoForum members as want to participate. See sample here:

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/photoforum/photoforumbooklet.jpg

Each author is assigned a left and a right page. The left one for text and the right one for the photograph(s). The page containing the photograph could actually hold a single image or more than one image as long as these fit within the confines of the area alloted on each page for the images. This is approximately (vertical) 6.5 inches by (horizontal) 8.5 inches or 165x215mm.

The images should be submitted as 300 DPI images and JPEG compressed so they hopefully don't exceed 1 or 2 Mb each or whatever you feel comfortable with.

If you decide to include more than one image on the image page then please assemble all the images into a single image file and send that instead of several small files.

Text submitted by each author would include such things as:

     author
     title of photograph(s) (if any)
     maybe a descriptive paragraph about the photograph or an artist's statement
     possibly a brief biography
     contact information for author such as email and/or website, etc..

Text should be provided as a plain text file or as a Word document. Font should be Times, size 12 (is 10 OK?). All text material should fit within a box whose dimensions are about 6 inches by 6 inches (15x15cm) in size. If excessive amount of text is submitted it will be edited by project manager(s).

A copyright notice will be included alongside each photograph. How should this read?

At this time we have approximately 30 members who indicated an interest in participating so this is a GO project. If the number goes up considerably the project may be modified to a letter sized dimension (vertical) with the photograph and text for each author on a single 8.5x11 inch page. This is implies that some would be on right and some on left pages. This would be done to keep the page count (and printing cost) down.

Contributions to this project can be made starting immediately and will be accepted until April 15, 2006. Projected publication date is May 1, 2006.

Send your image files and accompanying text to: RITphoto@xxxxxxx making sure to state the word PROJECT in the subject line of the message.

Write to me directly or to the list gently. Or use the form here:
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/photoforum/PF-bookform.html

is this something to go on?
cheers,
andy