Re: arabic sensibilities (Was por nography and fine art nude ladies)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peeter Vissak"

: If there is a slightest sign of distrust they won't sing or dance to
: you at all or if they do sing or tell stories, that will be absolute
: bullshit. They invent fake stories and fake fairytales not to open up
: their lives. Later they may laugh how silly people from big cities
: buy everything they hear and also try to fish on salmon in the high pike
time.

Many an anthroplogolist has been duped across time by such activities, but
then - who likes to be treated as a curio, an oddity to be stared at or
recorded?

:
: They have told, that opening yourself up means tearing off protective
: masking and then everyone can come and find your soul as a bare stone
: at the river - a suitable place to wash their feet.

precisely!

: Although it is not forbidden by sacred texts, there have been
: extrasensitives who warn us about giving away your pictures or images
: of your home or family; also about hanging up pictures with important
: meaning to your living-room or bedroom. Even if you have good
: intentions or do these people who get your picture, the world is full
: of rude vibes that may harm you - so they say.

And much like writing, it locks thoughts in stone to be examined,
misinterpreted or misrepresented at a later date by anyone with an agenda

: Again - please don't get me wrong, but such suspicions belong to some
: cultures or to some ways of thinking and every next day proves that
: the world does not care.

Sometimes it's nice to be forgotten :-)

There is a trend here in Oz for folks to go overseas and take pictures of
people in more 'primitive places, come back and hold an exhibition.
Personally I find this a little distasteful.  Viewers milling past looking
at pictures of old, toothless people or limbless children in the most
voyeuristic sense like they are bugs under a microscope.  No one would
patronise an exhibition of obese westerners wandering shopping malls (or
would they?)

If there was a purpose, say to draw attention to the plight of tsunami
victims or what have you then I'd have less of a problem, but even so - I
personally would loathe to be recorded in a moment of misery, to be stared
at by people I don't know - would I expect any less of another human soul?

am I being too sensitive?