Re: pornography and fine art nude ladies?

To remind y'all, I've been lurking for months now, I live in Cairo, Egypt.  One of my back bedroom concrete walls decided to fall down and I had it replaced last Ramadan.  The worker had an English magazine, something along the line of The National Enquirer, though he spoke no English...not sure he was literate in Arabic either.  For whatever reason, he walks up to me and shows me an advertisement for some diet pill with a before and after illustration of a woman in a modest two piece bathing suit.  This man, in his early 20's, asked me if this was "sex".  I told him it was a medical advertisement (my Arabic is not good enough to discuss the nature of the source).

I think this topic has a notable cultural angle.  Every culture, regardless of how "progressive" the west might perceive it to be has its sensitivities.  How about this:

I believe that fine art nude photography is capable of being free of sexual proclivities.  Not every image has to be sensual or flattering.  However, I have to disagree when I consider the potential inclusion of pre/pubescant models (though, the French may feel completely different about this).

lea murphy <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andy,

Vibes is dangerously close to vibrator which would certainly add some
positiveness to this but I expect that's not what you mean, huh?

I apologize in advance for my very ornery response. It's been one of
THOSE days.

Lea
(who is laughing as she types this)

On Mar 22, 2006, at 7:40 PM, Andrew Davidhazy wrote:

> It seems to me that this discussion is headed in the wrong
> direction. Could we hear some more positive vibes on the list please?
>
> cheers,
> andy

lea murphy
www.whinydogpress.com
www.leamurphy.com

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
 The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham