Re: arabic sensibilities (Was por nography and fine art nude ladies)

I am teaching a class of 11 students. 5 guys and 6 girls.
In the first semester the girls would not allow themselves to be photographed. Last week a student withdrew an image from an exhibition because her sister was in it (Although you wouldn't recognize her) She said her family would freak out if they found out.

Photography is more than misunderstood here. It is totally demonised. Not nudes. Never  pornography walking into a village carrying a camera is like walking in wielding an axe. People scatter. almost no females will alow themselves to be photographed. Almost nobody has a family album or pictures on a wall.

We are teaching the first ever 11 photographers in Oman. I'm hoping that they'll go into the villages where they come from and open a studio. Put some baby pics in the window and try to slowly change thier cultures.

herschel

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,
Higher College of Technology