RE: What is a photograph anyway?

Howard,

I share your vexation with the sloppiness of language about media.  The
term "straight" photography is still useful if only photographers and
some bone-head curators will use it. All else is mixed media, collage,
or whatever (there's a whole lot of whatever)  Let's please not call
them photographs. I'm not knocking photo-based art - far from it.

I was really put off last year at seeing a big room in the photography
section of the Chicago Art Institute full of highly manipulated inkjet
prints very loosely based on photographs   They should have been in the
print department with the silkscreen and litho prints, etc. (I was with
some other cranky old guys who, having traveled four hours to see
photographs, were equally grumpy about it!)

One has to draw a line somewhere to mark where straight pictures become
something else.  Excluding mainly tonal balance (as a photo curator or
juror sorting pictures by medium) I would insist it has to do with the
degree to which the original recording is changed . Once you screw with
formal qualities you've departed to illustration and collage land. There
are other departures. The material qualities of the print itself can
also be an issue.  For example,  does an applied emulsion or a process
artifact differ from simulated? I say YES - applied picture content
goes in the collage pile.

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book, 4Th ed.