Re: CC filters or Photoshop???

>>>It boils down to this -- why does it always seem to come down to
*being hard*?  Why do you care?  Does it really matter if that
lighting / note / whatever is easy or hard?  Shouldn't it matter
whether it's *the right one* for the place it was used more than
anything else?>>>

I am still trying to figure that one out myself. I am not sure I can come up with a solution that both of us would agree with. About all I can say is there is a big difference between being able to play an instrument and using technology to "duplicate" the music. Talent, ability, and musical knowledge must count for something.

>>>Making things easier is unambiguously good, by my standards.  Being
lazy is a *virtue* -- one of the greatest ones.  Essentially all
"progress" is made by lazy people working very hard to make things
easier for everybody.>>>

I think you might be right. To a point. Much could be lost when technology makes some tasks easier. That said, I once used a typewriter and there is no way I would return to the Selectric after using Word.

>>>Why is it so critical to you how hard the musician worked to create a
sound?  And, if some clever musician finds a way to make it easier,
how is that a bad thing?>>>

I am not sure it is unless you start thinking about what it means to master an instrument. If you believe that a banjo track added using electronics is every bit as equal as Earl Scruggs playing the track, then it really does not matter.

>>>Making things easier makes them accessible to more people.  I'm very
certain there exist people with remarkable artistic vision, who are
put off enough by the plodding technical exercises that they never get
to expressing their vision.  Making things easier brings those visions
into the pool, and I think makes us all richer. >>>

I agree. I think. But who says everyone should have an easier life. Again, talent must still count for something or we are in trouble. I can back a rich pool of art and music, but not if it is created by those without much talent, or we will find ourselves drowning in a vast pool of mediocre art.

(Snip)

>>>But there has to be a lot more to it than that; *every time* something
is made easier, a bunch of people complain that others should have to
suffer as they have suffered.  Often they can't make a case for why.>>>

I am not sure what to say. Perhaps I should ask you if you think talent still counts for something. Some things are very hard to do and if technology lessens the need to learn, it is, in my opinion, a bad thing.

Bob