Re: CC filters or Photoshop???

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Mulholland"

: Well, Bob, you've raised some excellent points.  But, in the long run,
: does the typical, competent photographer obtain acceptable results with
: CC filters or Photoshop?  Ten years ago and more, the *only* option was
: CC filters.  Now, there's an additional tool, i.e., Photoshop, and I'm
: trying to discover through others' experiences whether:

Ah, found it!  I've been dredging through former posts for this - have a
look here for a plugin to manage colour correction:

http://thepluginsite.com/products/photowiz/colorwasher/comparison1.htm

It looks like it does a REALLY good job, probably better than CC filters
could manage!

and another nice example image:
http://www.thepowerxchange.com/product_1688_detailed.html

: I appreciate your analogy regarding music.  We see it all of the time
: with photography and other fields, too, in that folks use technology to
: compensate for or cover up lack of talent/competence.

A recent photography competition here saw the first prize go to a graphic
art composition - a heavily worked image of a gate flipped and repeated a
number of times and pasted onto a background of sky.

Apparently it was a pleasing image (I didn't see it) but the general
consensus was that it bore little resemblance to anyone's concept of a
'photograph' - and the other entrants were a bit confused as to how to
approach future competitions - do they submit great photographs, or digital
art graphic effect pieces..

technology seemed to have got in the way.

David:

:Making things easier is unambiguously good, by my standards.  Being
:lazy is a *virtue* -- one of the greatest ones.  Essentially all
:"progress" is made by lazy people working very hard to make things
:easier for everybody

Some do it for other reasons - to make money is probably a big one ;)

Another is because they're frustrated at watching things done the hard way,
and it merely satisfies them to see efficiency in practice.

>>*lazy is a *virtue* <<  I think lazy might have connotations beyond what
you mean David!

David:
:I sometimes wonder if some of the
:abhorrence of making things easier comes from people who know,
:somewhere down inside, that their skill in the technical aspects is
:all they have, and are bothered by that becoming devalued

Maybe.  Maybe being 'technical' people they find it difficult to put into
words the intangible 'thing' that lurks inside them, bothers them, but
cannot be verbalized easily.

I hold understanding and knowledge in high regard.  I also hold efficiency
in high regard too.  It always stunned me that the western wheelbarrow
continues to be used when the Chinese one is *SO* much more efficient!  Yet
on the other hand I loathe the current education model of 'training' people
rather than teaching them.  Sure it's easier to simply 'train' someone to
operate an E6 machine, they need no knowledge of chemistry, SG, electronics
etc.. but I feel they've been deprived of something and they'll be let down
when the E6 machine goes screwy.

Were they to have taken the 'hard' road they'd be fine, and be able to
wrestle it back into operation with little fuss.

We saw a similar thing with colour correcting at the college I worked at.
RA4 was declared a vanishing art and lecturers moved the bulk of the colour
teaching onto the computers - it was easier.  Then they found the students
were simply unable to colour correct properly, no matter what they said,
did or demonstrated - after a couple of years they started putting *every*
student back onto the RA4's - and the students were able then to comprehend
the whole matter.

Effectively the more difficult path proved the easier one when the final
outcome was judged! ;)

Why should it have been so difficult on a computer?  I can't answer that,
but something in the old, slow, 'difficult' process allowed them to learn
colour correction better.

David:
:But there has to be a lot more to it than that; *every time* something
:is made easier, a bunch of people complain that others should have to
:suffer as they have suffered.  Often they can't make a case for why

I have made MANY mistakes in my life and I'll continue to do so.

I had a student sobbing over her fifth or sixth attempt at a particularly
difficult (and expensive) assignment.  I told her she was lucky, every day
she made a mistake is a GOOD day because she learned something!  She
eventually saw some small wisdom in this and cheered up :)

I'm very glad to have learned things the *hard* way.  Mistakes are part of
the process - exploring dead ends helps me find not just why things work
but also why not!

Knowing where things fail, where the limits are gives me a better
understanding of the realms in which I work.. I get a feeling for the
boundaries and this helps form a picture of the 'set'.

I suspect a lot of those who criticize might feel the same way.  Of course
there are the sour grapes brigade, but I choose to ignore their sentiments
and see if they have anything tangible to offer :)

Sometimes it really bugs me knowing we collectively have a massive amount
of information in our respective minds yet we cannot effectively pass it
on - and we can't gather it in a particularly efficient way either.  Each
of us is born to learn all over again.  Each making the same mistakes that
have been made for countless generations.

sigh

a shame

- maybe the Borg really are doing things the right way
;)