Re: CC filters or Photoshop???

>>>I'm trying to learn from others experiences.  While it would be nice to
have a repertoire of appropriate CC filters, I just don't see myself
using them enough to justify the expense, particularly if it seems that
I can satisfactorily make the corrections in Photoshop.  But, I don't
know if my "satisfactory" would be better with the CC filters.  Again,
I'm looking for the pros and cons of each approach, and others'
experiences.  And, there's always experimentation! ;)>>>

There is an ideal solution. Decamired filters and a color temperature meter. Perhaps if you are opposed to the cost, it is not truly an ideal situation. I do not know what is better: forgetting about color correction and simply fire up PS and fix the problems, or perhaps properly filtering and exposing and not depending upon PS so much.

One could (and likely will) argue that the final result is what is important. Perhaps "talent" is less and less important these days.

It seems to me that using PS is a perfectly acceptable work-around for those that do not want to worry about color temperature and CC filters. I'll leave that for another argument. All I can offer is my opinion: learn to use CC filters and if you can afford it, buy a complete set of Decamired filters and a CT meter.

Again, my opinion: PS is often used as a crutch. Or perhaps not; if it will correct bad color casts, it perhaps really does not matter. I have corrected thousands of scans for inclusion in technical documentation and it was easier and perhaps faster to fix the images in Corel PP, since I have to work as fast as possible, 99 percent of the time. I never once worried about color shifts because I could easily fix the problems.

That said, I know a few musicians that record their own music and they have very little raw talent. They add horns and xylophones or perhaps a banjo; it often sounds nice. They cannot keep the beat and a few of them cannot properly tune their instruments, but they can add what they feel is missing. They can fix the small problems with Cakewalk or some other program and a digital recorder. Then again, lots of great musicians often rely upon some sort of digital magic and track repair.

Some of those I personally know have no real musical talent to speak of, but the music speaks for itself. Unless you are me and subscribe to the notion that musicians should learn about music and not depend on a crutch. Or, perhaps what is good is good and it really does not matter how strong the electronic crutch is or what magic was used to fabricate the work. Music or photography.

I'll leave it up to you to decide if my music analogy is of any importance or if it applies. I think it does because I think there is a world of difference between someone that can play the French Horn and being able to sample the sound and add the required instrument later.

I create most of my Access Databases using Wizards and very little head scratching or looking at parameters. So I sometimes take the easy way out because it is far easier.

Bob

Get more from the Web FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com