Re: CC filters or Photoshop???

Hi Herschel,

Thanks for responding and seeking clarification!

I tend to shoot Velvia, and will sometimes shoot Kodak Portra and Ultracolor. My main shooting is nature and landscapes, so I can be shooting with small apertures and long exposures; but, "long" exposure typically means one to four seconds - and no problem with reciprocity failure. The reason that I raise this issue is because I did some shooting last fall (a photo that I previously posted here of Pewits Nest). I made several shots at f/32 for ten or twelve seconds, and didn't even think about reciprocity failure. When the film came back, there was a lot of cyan in it from the reciprocity failure, which I eventually and satisfactorily corrected with Photoshop. It helped that I downloaded the Velvia fact sheet from Fuji and it suggested using a magenta CC filter for longer exposures; that made it easier to make the corrections in Photoshop.

I'm trying to learn from others experiences. While it would be nice to have a repertoire of appropriate CC filters, I just don't see myself using them enough to justify the expense, particularly if it seems that I can satisfactorily make the corrections in Photoshop. But, I don't know if my "satisfactory" would be better with the CC filters. Again, I'm looking for the pros and cons of each approach, and others' experiences. And, there's always experimentation! ;)

Thanks,

Tim!

Tim Mulholland
Illuminata Photo