Gallery Review

Here it is Friday and my faltering memory does not recall any critiques of this weeks gallery located at:
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

I will try to do a hasty run through giving my impressions.

Jim Davis
Jim knows my partiality to the Japanese landscape so I always approach these with positive thoughts. Rather nice but I would have loved to see the results if you had stepped to the left a bit and shown us more of the interesting stuff on the right and less of the brush and bare ground. Fuji still would have dominated. On my monitor it also looks like it could benefit from some brightness/contrast work.

Elson T. Elizaga
Technically wonderful with good lighting and exceptional depth of field. Love the spider webs he appears to dragging around. I wonder if that is natural or accidental. A little over saturated to appear natural to me. Still neat photo. But I love shooting macros of insects myself.

Laurenz Bobke
Love the colors. This would make a nice decorative print. Even though I like the idea I don't get too much out of it.
Try some more though if you haven't already.

Herschel Mair
Well, I understand the assignment I believe but not at all sure this fulfills it. Texture somewhat obvious but figure/ground is not at all ambiguous. I tried saturating and desaturating and rotating etc. and never got it to work. Too subtle for me I guess.

Pini Vollach
I love photos of old gear and buildings. This has promise for me. I like the strong diagonal shadows but don't like the lack of modeling on the tractor. A different time of day perhaps would have helped. I know the diagonal shadows would be affected and it would be a different photo. Perhaps a better one.

Gary Perdue
Almost makes a really nice photo for me. Tighter cropping would strengthen it I think. Color use and line arrangements are really good.

Emily L. Ferguson
Never liked the drop shadow effect of having the flash to the wrong side of the subject. A little background work could have made this a very pleasing photo.
Marilyn Dalrymple
I like this shot much better than the previous one in the series. Less brain pain trying to orient myself. I like the frosty feel quite a bit. A little cropping at the bottom would have made it better for me. Very nice effort though.

Howard Leigh
Well, what can I say Howard? The only thing in focus is the stem and who cares about that? You show the least interesting view of the flower with little regard for background. I applaud the approach and low angle but you need to see the entire frame and attend to details. Keep it up. Macro work is fun as I said above.

D.L. Shipman
Lovely shape of the bird and potential for a really good shot. The overall softness of the image and lack of color and contrast destroys it for me. I know one can't get ideal conditions but that doesn't change the shortcomings for me. Perhaps a stylization using PS filter could lead to a great decorative piece but not natural if that is what you absolutely have to have.

Christopher Strevens
Your head is too big, your hat size is too small and the clutter is evident. The kind of room I am all too familiar with. It's obvious you are into many things and fun things at that. Thanks for the small peek into your world.

Don Roberts

--
The art of living lies in a fine mingling of holding on and letting go.-- Havelock Ellis