Re: CDs and DVDs for archival of images.

2006/2/8, karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
: I am about to archive images to optical media and in light of recent
debates
: surrounding the issue of CDs x DVDs in terms of reliability I decided to
do
: some research first before choosing the media for the job.
:
: Although I've done some basic research on the internet it is hard to know
: what sites provide reliable and trustworthy information that can be fully
: trusted.
:
: Do any of you have information to share on the benefits of using CDs and
: DVDs as long term storage media ?

Actually, it's not so much the longevity of the media itself that bothers me. At my office, I recently came across a 5.5 inch floppy disk. Guess, the data would still be there if I had the drive to read them!
Personally, I back up everything on external HDDs and DVD.
I figure, I can migrate the data more easily from the HDD before USB gets replaced by some other sort of connection.
If there's a problem with a HDD, I hope that the same data will still be available on the DVD....

Laurenz
http://www.travelphoto.net/