Re: Bell Peppers

Title: Re: Bell Peppers
This guy claims to have a picture of the original neg on his site.
It appears to me to be an 8x10 neg.

http://www.m-reekie.com/Weston411.htm

Could you steer me to anywhere that I can see Pepper #39. I would be excited to see a pepper more famous than #30.
As far as getting your info from Cole... He personally told me that it was HE that ate Pepper #30. Now I see him quoted as saying that Brett says that he ate it...

http://www.edward-weston.com/edward_weston_natural_1.htm

The only thing I could add from personal opinions gathered from what I have read about the Westons and from my very limited personal contact with Cole is that peppers must make people very randy indeed...
In all honesty, who among us could render a pepper or a sea shell or an artichoke with such sensuality?

You’d have to be very in touch with your inner randiness...

I really don't see what's the big deal on this discussion.  Edward Weston was bored, restricted from photographing in his favorite sanctuary, made 40 pictures of Red Bell peppers in black and white using the 4X5 format; and none of them were exceptionally successful except for the #39, which made it's way into a poster.  The whole bunch -- since donated to the CPA in Arizona -- have never all 40 been published.

He was a great photographer.  He's dead.

Steve Shapiro

PS  In his lifetime it was his portrait of James Cagney that really made his reputation.

What's to argue?