Re: CDs and DVDs for archival of images.

Laurenz Bobke <laurenzb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Actually, it's not so much the longevity of the media itself that bothers
> me. At my office, I recently came across a 5.5 inch floppy disk. Guess, the
> data would still be there if I had the drive to read them!

The last time *I* tried to read a 5.25" floppy, couple of years ago,
the data wasn't readable on several different drives.  Magnetic media
shouldn't be counted on for long-term storage, in general.  Magtapes
wer doing well to last 10 years.

> Personally, I back up everything on external HDDs and DVD.

Using a couple of different media is a good strategy, I think.  I'm
doing something very similar.