weekly photos

Hi,

A few words about this week's gallery: http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

Spirer - Water fountain
I love the color shades on this - "luscious" comes to mind. Lack of sharpness adds some mystery to a somewhat mundane object. The shadow to the floor helps to add dimension and depth. At first I thought there was too much space to the right, but the fact that it is a brighter shade perhaps helps to give the image more depth.

Vollach - Geometry
Pleasing composition. The flat space on the left helped by the white line and magenta/pink splash at the top. The worn steps are evocative of the passing of time and people.More recently, a tossed cigarette butt and cherry pits (?).

Ferguson - Experiment
Is this a winter flower in your neck of the woods? Pleasing colors in the neck of the flower and leaves, and nice detail of veins.I like the movement from the bottom left up the curve to the top. Somehow, the scalloped leaves and composition give this an uncharacteristic (for flowers) hardness. The closeness of the crop is a bit claustrophobic.

McKinney -
I like this a lot. Nice near/far composition with clear lines from front to back; densely packed with detail, but still a strong focus on tree-bridge-hotel.

Shipman -
This is a dream-like shot with the areas of focus and not-focus. Nice separation of the three boats. Except that fourth one there to the left. Did you photoshop this? Get that guy out of there!

Cigirgan- Jewelry
Oh, there is some jewelry there. Maybe it's just a guy thing, but I got distracted. Did you say this is a collage? I like the softness of the tones. And it's a nice necklace.

Cunningham - Calcium deposit
This is an intriguing natural object and a worthy subject, but doesn't come through well on my monitor. The top of the object is lost in the sky. Perhaps due to the poor scan you mention. Lacks a sense of scale.

Hodges - Earthmoving equipment
She's colorfully dressed for work today, but she must have forgotten her steel-toed boots. Oh well, if one of those rocks back there lands on a foot, I'm sure she's covered by workmen's compensation (not). There is a reason why labor is cheap in other parts of the world (outside USA).

Museki Abe - Winter
I'm sure there is a haiku here somewhere. Let us know (in English?).

Roberts - Geishas
Thanks for sharing your find with us. This could be an old postcard. Might be rural, but looks like a nice dwelling.

Thanks all for submitting, and to Photoforum staff.

Jay Bjerkan
www.jaybjerkan.com