RE: We are off that topic; here are some critiques and opinions - wasgovernment

>>>Everybody on this list knows that as a starter, but only as a starter, for a good orthodox photograph the focus must be sharp, the exposure must be right. But most of the people on this list are well beyond and over this point.>>>

I would hope they do

>>>Here, mostly we are trying to reach better aesthetics, better and newer techniques, and a better way of expressing ourselves.>>>

Nothing wrong with that. It does not mean I have to like it. Therefore, I do not like to comment or arguments erupt.

>>>I do not want to be personal, but for my image for this weeks exhibition, you have shown me the way to some gem photographs, and tell me to read "Lapidary Journal". I do not think I need such remarks from somebody who does not even understand that the image he is looking at is not about gems or lapidary.>>>

I mentioned gem and minerals in passing because there is no shortage of bad mineral images and they have similar technical requirements that flower pictures have. At least as far as I am concerned. Sorry if that point was unclear. I referred people to Lapidary Journal because the work is excellent and if you decide to take such images, it is a great place to study technique.

I know what a gemstones and minerals looks like. I was not confused. Were you the photographer of the poppy? I commented on the image. The picture does not tell me much about the species. Like I said, I have a narrow view.

>>>BTW, you would not have even considered it a photograph, as it is a montage of two photographs brought together in Photoshop. Both shot at different times, totally different light conditions, even at different pixel sizes. >>>

I have no interest in PS images. Does not mean they are bad (except from technical issues I have mentioned already) just not my style and I simply have no interest.

>>>Anyhow, Bob, consider photoforum a learning place, and try to learn something here. It really beats bragging about being old school.>>>

I refuse to abandon the old school die. Lots of history and excellence in the past. Before you yell, I am not saying digital has no value. I only use it because I am forced into doing so. You might not agree and I can accept being considered behind the times. I take no offense.

Bob