From: Bob Maxey
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 12:49 PM
Subject: Re: govt spys, was Are you a Yahoo! group member?

> It's actually somewhat worse than Robert suggests. They've been using
> beacons for quite a while. Read the fine print when you sign up and google
> the Yahoo privacy statement. You must also agree to allow Yahoo to share the
> information they garner about you with its business associates, and there's
> no stipulation as to how that information is shared.

Its funny how this has been going on for many decades, with nary a complaint. This is why there is so much personal information available for the asking and ready to be used by the Great Marketing Machine.

Customer feedback forms, warranty registrations, surveys, mass marketing and mailing lists, the ability to purchase and use vehicle registration information and other government maintained mailing lists. On and on. You can order a mailing list that is extremely specific.

Things will change if the public raises the issue with those corporations that have implemented policies that the user disagrees with. Never forget, Yahoo might be free, but the money is flowing from somewhere. If the cash flow is threatened, things will change. It does not take a marketing degree to recognize that simple fact.

If the public is frightened and is reacting to something that really matters very little, the company might need to make changes that make no sense. So public education is required.

What happens if these corporations start charging a monthly fee for service? How many Yahoo group members would pay fifteen bucks every month for Yahoo groups? Yahoo offers a great service and I would hate to see it go away.

About all I can offer is this: read every TOS you can find on the sites you want to play with; read every Privacy Policy, too. If you are concerned about their policy, do not use the service. If you have time, write the web master and express your concerns I do not favor boycotts, but you can write one or two of the advertisers and express your concerns.

Use long strings of letters and numbers for your passwords and only give the service the minimum amount of information required to access the service. If they do not require a street address or your mother's maiden name, do not give them the information. Do not freely give away your email address.

Bob