Re: Are you a Yahoo! group member?

>>>I'm missing something big here.

Where in the constitution is the line drawn between what is "too silly
to consider" and what is legitimate?>>>

Leave the consttution out of it. In this discussion, it matters little.

Someone else mentioned that Yahoo might be able to take your car and home by virtue of their TOS. The comment was reposted and commented on once again, and I thought it was silly. I can also recognize that the bits about the car and house were likely posted in jest, but you never know what some people get excited about or misunderstand.

>>>You enter a contract with them: the service is ***NOT*** free (even if
no actual cash passes).

I accept thier terms (in exchange for accepting their sodding adverts
:o) which used to include privacy.  Suddenly it does not (by which
time 30 sec later ... heck we all check the TOC every 30 sec) so I
withdraw.  Too late, they've already SOLD my details ...>>>

I missed you point. I have never cut a check to Yahoo and I use some of their services. I do not care what Yahoo gathers and sells because far more accurate information is available from other sources. Payment I suppose does come in the form of ad revenue generated by whatever info they can gleam from the info the user posts. Nothing new, it has been going on for many decades.

>>>An undefined contract (over here anyway) is not a contract.  So they
cannot have the right to change conditions (update them) willy nilly
without re-approval.  Over here anyway you only agree to specifics.>>>

But you do give them approval. Every time you use one of their services, in fact, you are actually telling Yahoo, I agree to your terms. Do I think every member will check the Yahoo TOS before they post something? No, this is far too much to expect. I also do not expect Yahoo to change their terms of service every 30 seconds, either.

Rather than worry about web bugs, you should take a look at the Yahoo TOS/Privacy Policy/Copyright Statements. Were you aware that you give Yahoo license to use your images, writings, graphics... almost anything you post to what Yahoo terms a "Publicly Accessible Area of Yahoo," in perpetuity? By posting, you grant Yahoo the right to publish, edit, modify, rewrite and sub-license you stuff. Clearly stated in the rules. Yahoo is not laying claim to ownership, but in most cases, you are granting Yahoo a non-exclusive world-wide license.

I do not necessarily approve, but you, me, every user agrees to these terms. Also, nothing new.

>>>It might sound silly to you but there really is no difference between
trying to give themselves posession of your house and selling your
details.  Come to think of it, didn't they claim copyright (or at
least worldwide publication rights) of all images at one time?>>>

There is a big difference between selling your information and taking possession of your house and/or car. I would bet much of your private info is being marketed as we speak, and not necessarily by Yahoo.

Bob