Re: Interesting article

Marilyn,

Which part of this were you interested in???
(You forget how easily amused I am {:->)

I found Maurer's comparison between the human eye, paintings, film and digital and his use of illustrative examples interesting.

I am taking an oil painting class and until I started painting (or trying to) I didn't realize how much I take for granted when photographing. Maurer points out what he feels is missing when eye vs. camera or film vs. digital, or vice versa.

When he talks about the Rembrandt painting and the range of brightness evident in the folds of clothing he is correct - "Every tiny part of the dress contrasts with the part adjacent to it." I just accepted that when photographing, but when I go to paint a fold in fabric I really see the differences. If I can catch those tiny differences in my photographs it would make for a much more dynamic and interesting photograph (my opinion, only).

I don't agree with everything Maurer says. I still believe as much can be done with film as with digital.

Marilyn