Re: Canon zoom telephoto lens question.

The IS feature works very well indeed oon this lens, which is quite heavy. However, if you shoot mostly on a tripod then it's a bit of a waste.

"Joseph Chamberlain, DDS" <drjchamberlain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear all:

I am about to purchase Canon's 70-200mm f/2.8 L lens but am in doubt as to
which model to choose.

There are basically two models, the difference being that one has IS (image
stabilization) and the other doesn't. Outside of that they seem to be the
same lens. Is this correct ? I have heard that the model without the IS is
an older design and the focus is not as fast or responsive but I am not sure
about the source of this information and how accurate this is.

Are there any other distinctions between these two models that any of you
would know of ?

I s IS such a necessary thing as to justify a price increase of 50% ? While
the IS model is selling for about $ 1,700 the model without the IS is
selling for $ 1,140. Is this difference justifiable and will the IS provide
such a major benefit as to compensate for the price difference ?

Best regards,

Joseph

---

Dr. Joseph Chamberlain