Re: Organization of Digital Files/CD-DVD Storage

I stopped burning CDs a while ago because the pile exceeded the capacity of a handy dandy wire mesh drawer thing I picked up a Wal*Mart one day. (The media are filed alphabetically by the name I happen to plot on the medium when I burn it.)

So now I grit my teeth and assemble a DVD worth before burning.

As for recovery, I use a program called Portfolio by a company named Extensis, which basically is a database into which one can bring any type of file even RAW. It's not cheap and got lots of bells and whistles which I haven't even begun to figure out. The most tiresomely necessary part of it is that one must keyword to get the best effect from the search feature. But then, any search feature will find more results if it's given more data to search, so such is life.

I keep a set of DVDs off site, at a friend's house, in a selection of fake leather binders which also conveniently come from Wal*Mart. Most people use them to truck their CDs around from house to car and friends' house.

Of course there are lots of other methods and databasing programs out there. iView Media Pro, ACDSee, iPhoto come immediately to mind.

And there are lots of other storage approaches - backup hard drives seem to be fashinable among those who believe the lifespan of a hard drive is about the same as that of a CD. But it isn't, so I prefer removable media.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx