Re: camera and cold weather

Well, I live in Sweden, and shoot a lot in our winter too, sometimes carrying the camera unprotected for hours in temperatures down to -15 to -20 deg Celsius (a few times down to -35 deg C, but then not for hours...). I´ve done this since the seventies with quite a few different cameras.

Well, I can recall only one camera that gave me problems, and that was a purely mechanical Rollei SL66 (MF SLR) that froze solid every time it was used below 0 deg C. Everything else, mechanical or electronic, silver or digital, has worked without a hitch; cannot remember losing one single frame because of the cold (except where my hands got too numb).

The only two things I am careful with when shooting winter are:

1) Fresh (or freshly charged) batteries in camera, spare batteries in an inner pocket (seldom needed, actually).

2) Wrap the gear in plastic bags and/or closed, insulated camera bags BEFORE going indoors (even a car), and do not for any reason whatsoever open this protection until it has been indoors for at least two hours. If you want pics from lunch breaks in cabins, carry a compact in a warm inner pocket and use it indoors only.

I wouldn´t leave any camera gear in the car; wrap it as described and take it with you (unless you are dead certain no one will come around and break into the car).

Per Öfverbeck
http://ofverbeck.se

"In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates?"