RE: Photo Story 3

> What is virtual memory and how can I get more? I haven't read
> the help section on this yet, but will do so while I wait for
> your answers.
>
> Shyrell Melara

Your computer has physical memory called RAM. Lets say you have just enough RAM to run Photoshop. You open Photoshop and your computer loads it into RAM. Then you decide you need Photo story so you open that too. Your computer sees that you are not using Photoshop right now so it takes parts of Photoshop out of RAM and copies it to your hard drive. Then it loads Photo story in the hole it just created in your RAM. If you now go back to Photoshop, the computer moves part of Photo story to the hard drive and moves Photoshop back into RAM.

Virtual memory makes it look like you have more memory (RAM) in your computer than you actually do. So you can see that if you run out of disk space, you have also run out of virtual memory. On Windows you can set the amount and location of your virtual memory in the Control Panel.

You don't have to have more than one program running to run out of virtual memory though and sometimes a hidden program or a poorly written program may be using up all your memory.

I would say do the old help desk standby 'reboot' and see if it works better. Also check and see if your hard disk has lots of empty space. You can also buy more RAM which will decrease demands on virtual memory.

Greg