Re: Books

There are many wonderful books that address technical aspects of photography. One book you may be familiar with and is used in many introductory photo classes is simply titled Photography, edited by Barbara London (and/or John Upton ???). It is in it 7th or 8th edition by now. Ansel Adams' classic texts are always nice to have as well, I think "The Negative" and "The Print" are probably the most important.

A great deal of technical information is already available in most libraries and book stores. One resource that UNC's library provides for students is simply a photocopy handout with a comprehensive list of the most useful internet resources and descriptions of what types of information they provide.

Due to the wealth of information available on the internet, much of which is more up-to-date, than what is featured in some books, you might try to provide materials that are not easily found through other means. Artist's monographs are certainly one genre that is poorly represented in commercial bookstores and on the internet.

I would try to select photographers whose work is easily acesible to beginners, but also rewards students as their understanding of the medium grows. Henri Cartier-Bresson comes immediately to mind. Also, Richard Avedon, Gregory Crewdson, Cindy Sherman. Slightly more challenging but still accesible Robert Adams, Tim Davis, Emmet Gowin, Sally Mann, Richard Misrach, Nicholas Nixon, Joel Sternfeld, Hiroshi Sugimoto.

Perhaps others will be able to provide more books relevant to journalism or commercial/fashion photography.

If you found this helpful at all I can provide information as to which specfic books might best represent each artist or might be best suited to high school students.

-Heyward