Re: Long term camera storage.

Hello, greetings from Brazil. I´ve been making bags of blue silica gel with paper cofee filters (3 spoons each bag) and stocking the cameras in hermetic ammunition boxes we can buy pretty cheap in surplus stores. The blue silica gel I buy in chemical stores can be dried in microwaves oven inside the paper bags. I put kitchen paper towel over a dish and then the bags. Heat maximun for 3 minutes and it changes from pink to blue again and the towel becomes humid. You can use it several times (eight at least) till it turns brownish and you must throw it out. I´ve been keeping cameras for years without any damage to them or fungus development. No batteries and shutter not cocked (don´t know about Exactas). Cheers, JL

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Wrigley" <r.wrigley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 10:52 AM
Subject: Re: Long term camera storage.

Greetings from Norfolk UK

I think that the Exacta range of cameras likes to be stored with the shutter
cocked but check this out please before implementing

With regard to silica gel - you can 'dry' it out in a normal domestic oven
(preferably not gas), but I cannot remember the temperature at which the
water is driven off, somewhere around 250 deg. F I think (maybe look for the
colour change in the dyed type); so the little bags of gel that are in new
equipment can be re-used to preserve the old with a little effort.

Richard.
r.wrigley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which when looked at in
the right way, did not become still more complicated"
Poul Anderson