Re: Would you give away a print to a prospective client?

Kostas,

I think it comes down to making an educated guess. You know something of the man, from your contact's advice. It is _your_ choice. You outlay the cost of a print, the samples, and delivery. You may, or may not, receive an order for further prints.

Here in Oz, there is a group of foot and mouth artists (they use their foot, or their mouth, to hold a paintbrush) who post unsolicited packets of Christmas cards around the country. On average it must work for them. But I didn't care for the cards, so "returned them to sender". I do not like to feel pressured to purchase something.

So, if it were me, I'd send the man some reasonably representative samples of the series of five images, and details of the exhibition. I'd offer to give him, as the distributor of that brand of car, one print of his choice, for his office. That way he need feel no obligation. And may feel comfortable to order some or all of the remaining four prints.

Just a thought, maybe you could also offer to loan the five prints to the company, to be placed in their sales room, with a discrete notice containing your contact details, in case one of the customers should wish to purchase a print. The company could then be paid the standard gallery commission -- 25 to 33 & 1/3 percent on Oz.

&i (:

--
No virus detected in this outgoing message.