Re: Canon digital bodies and Nikon lenses.

karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> [...]

$6k gets you well over twice my current DSLR; more like 4 to 8 times
it in the current market (I've had my S2 since the very end of 2002).
I've spent perhaps $500 on drives and media.  I don't think my
computer expenditures have changed since I began using them for
photography, but even if I included them, it's another maybe $1500
over the life of the current camera.  Any way you look at it I'm way
ahead financially.  And that camera is nowhere near dead yet.

Do you have any idea how many prints 30 220ml ink cartridges will make
in a 7600?  It's a *really* huge number.

> If you're a 'filmy' (thats what I call myelf these days) it gets you
> a Canon F1N and a pile of lenses (sold by the kilo these days since
> they're obsolete), a jobo film processor, a good colour enlarger,
> lots of paper, chemicals and film.

Which keeps you going for a year or less, then you need to spend
*another* few thousand on chemicals, film, and paper.  And you use a
lot more paper, since that's the only way to see your work.

> I kid myself and pretend I'm a craftsman, taking time to do
> mysterious things that other people can't do in a darkened room.  A
> bit like one of those people who make tables themselves out of rare
> and exotic woods rather than just nipping down to Ikea for something
> cheap.  It takes lots of time, but for some reason I feel it's worth
> it.  I did after all spend lots of time, and in some instances a lot
> of money too in actually taking the shots.

I'll accept that argument for Ctein's dye-transfer prints (I've bought
9 or some such of them over the years).  That's a craftmanship I can
understand and appreciate.  Those prints do things with those images
that other kinds of prints can't, or at least couldn't when they were
made and when I bought them.

Artist-made inkjet prints are much more in the "craftsman" category
than lab-made RA4 prints, though, IMHO.

What I know about *my own* color printing skills is that I can do
immensely better with digital and an inkjet than I ever could in a
lab.  And I don't have the patience to learn dye transfer (besides,
the materials are discontinued).