Re: Canon digital bodies and Nikon lenses.

PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx writes:

> Shoot film. It still cheaper unless you throw away most of your
> shots.  Digital takes a lot more processing and storage on hardrives
> ( Even at $.50 per gig you still need large files to maintain
> quality and two backup harddrive for each oriiginal data
> harddrives.)

For digital the cost is storage (and equipment), for film it's film
and processing.  If you shoot a lot, digital is a lot cheaper.

10k shots is a bit under 300 rolls.  You can save money going to
Wal*Mart, but at a pro lab it's nearly $15 to develop and contact or
proof a roll, and the film itself costs around $5 (unless you're using
cheap consumer film).  So 300 rolls costs $6000 just in film and lab
fees.  More than that if you need scans done (or more of your time).

$6000 will pay for a lot of hard drives and DVDs.

So is 10k shots one year's work, or 5, for you?  I'm an amateur, and
find I'm somewhere in the middle.  If you're a slow, careful, artistic
landscape photographer (Ansel Adams type) 10k shots is probably a LOT
of years.