Re: Image file naming strategy.

I use Extensis Portfolio, name my keepers with words, use lots of keywords which I insert when I prepare the file from RAW. The keywords allow me to search in Portfolio, the date of creation allows me to locate images by date in Portfolio. I only catalog my keepers in Portfolio, since most of them are on CDs or DVDs and Portfolio tracks the name of the specific medium onto which the keeper is burned.

Next to that system, I also maintain a folder of jpegs with many subfolders by location for my landscape work and by event for my sailing work. Properly keyworded, for instance, Portfolio allows me to find all of one type of boat, or any single boat, from among all the folders for separate events in which that boat sailed. I can then look in the jpegs to find my preferred sample for submission by email.

All the jpegs are 4x6 with my copyright symbol embedded, as part of the process of creating them.

If you have a Mac, there is a wonderful little program called R-Name which makes catching up with the housekeeping a cinch. Some of my folders of jpegs contain images from as long ago as 1992 and my filing system was rather more crude back then. R-Name allowed me to manage bringing much of the naming up to date.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx