Re: Image file naming strategy.

"Joseph Chamberlain, DDS" <drjchamberlain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I have some questions for the group that refer to the naming protocol each
> of you use for naming your digital image files.

My scheme results in naming new images things like "ddb 20050921
010-037" (with the appropriate extension; and the original file has an
additional "-orig" tacked on at the end to make it clear what it is).

"ddb" is my initials, to reduce the chance of name collisions with
other photographers.  The next bit is the date, so they'll sort in
order.  "010" is a session number, certainly not strictly necessary;
it's so that I can have distinctions beyond the negative number
between different shoorts the same day.  And mostly it's left over
from film, where each roll had a different number there.  The last bit
is a sequential number within the shoot.

Schemes where I decide a photograph has one "subject" never worked for
me; I need to be able to find it by various keys (location, people,
date, and so forth).  So I use a simple date and accession scheme for
naming and use keywords and other things for the rest of the
indexing.

I use Siren File Rename to turn the camera names into these things.
It's freeware from <http://www.scarabee-software.net/en/siren.html>.
Very powerful, lets you use most any EXIF field to construct parts of
the name (also useful for mp3, movie, and other files with embedded
information of various sorts).