Re: Image file naming strategy.

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 01:52:31 -0800, "Joseph Chamberlain, DDS"
<drjchamberlain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:

>Since the first 4 alphanumeric characters don't
>change, once the file number reaches 9999 and rolls over to 0001 again the
>camera is producing a second image file with a name that has already been
>assigned.
>
>This is an example of how the camera does it: 5F9Z0001.jpg
>
>This is nothing but a minor annoyance and something that could have been
>slightly better planned by Canon. The new EOS1D Mk II N comes with a
>function built in that allows the user to change the initial 4 characters so
>that this doesn't happen.
>
>I am mostly interested, however, in getting your ideas and personal
>experiences on what type of naming protocol each of you has decided to adopt
>for your images.

I put my images in folders as they were intended. Course I'm still
short of the 8000 mark in my 10d, so I'm not sure what the
repercussions will be after I roll over. Maybe I'll just upgrade ;-)

I don't rename previews, but always keep the last 4 digits, then add
descriptive info in front of it.

--
Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
  http://easternbeaver.com/