Re: Gravestone photography

Yes, I've made some research in the net, but the phrases you gave -- "funerary art", etc. -- are quite helpful. Several interesting sites came up. I never thought cemeteries could be a lively subject. :)

Here's one amusing entry in a glossary of cemetery terms (http://www.vintageviews.org/vv-tl/pages/Cem_Glossary.htm):

wake

The Irish practice of watching over the body by candlelight the night before the funeral and the often wild feasting which follows. This may have developed simply because mistakes sometimes happened The purpose of the wake, therefore, was to ensure that the deceased was truly dead.

Don Roberts <droberts@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Elson, I'm sure that you know that searching Google, Yahoo or
others for "funerary art", "cemetery art" or "tombstone symbolism"
will turn up numerous resources to help you interpret what you are
shooting.
Don