Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 8:50 PM
Subject: Re: Gravestone photography

Get in as close as your widest angle on your zoom, and shoot with the largest aperture that will allow sharpness from the face of the stone to the depth of the carving. This will blow all the area behind the stone out of focus, since you'll have the tiniest possible depth of field. Then use a flash to punch a little extra light into one side of the carved letters. this will make a shadow on the other side of the channel. then the engraving will show up somewhat better.

I think sunshine may be too powerful and not directional enough. You'll have to experiment with how much flash to tip in there, and you'll need a bracket with extension cord for the flash, or a tripod you can clamp it on. Shoot head on to the headstones with the flash to the R or L of the lens and aimed into one side of the carving.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx