Re: Canon's support and information.

Well, I can't help you on the age question, but I can tell you about my experience with Canon service. I had a chip out of the front ring on my long zoom, and also wanted a sensor cleaning. The lens was less than a year old. It was out of warranty. They didn't want to admit that a chip in that front ring really shouldn't be happening to any professional quality lens, but I pulled the "compare with other brands for umpty ump years" routine on them and decided that I could have the cleaning for free and pay for the lens repair.

I didn't think a whole lot of that solution but accepted it. They actually quoted $185 for the cleaning and I thought that was outrageous.

After a summer of shooting sailing I need a cleaning again. While we have all this rain, and since fall is nothing this year in New England, I'll think I'll try my local camera repair place. The technician has 35 years experience with maintenance and definitely doesn't charge $185 for a cleaning.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx