Re: Apple's new RAW photo software.

Lawrence:

First of all I hope you are doing well and recovering from your spinal
injury without any major problems from the accident.

This is the same question I have as far as Aperture goes. I also just
upgraded my Adobe CS to CS2 and have been pleased with the whole package.
Some have claimed that Bridge is slower than the older File Browser. It may
indeed be slower, but not by much. I don't know how much impact on Bridge's
performance can actually come from the system's configuration but if it does
matter I am running a dual processor 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5. Bridge offers many
more features and flexibility than those found in File Browser and I also
like the fact that it runs as a stand alone package instead of a feature
inside of Photoshop.

On one hand Aperture seems to have some very interesting features I haven't
found in Photoshop or Bridge CS2. The dual monitor integrated support is
quite appealing as one can see the image being displayed or edited blown to
full screen mode on one monitor while working on the workspace with all the
menus, palettes and a smaller window containing the same photo on the other
monitor. The changes are displayed in real time and it is a lot easier to
see the impact those changes have on the image when you have it blown to
full screen mode on a Apple 23" or 30" cinema display. I have searched
Adobe's knowledge database and posted questions on their discussion forum
but all the answers I received indicated that this feature is not yet
offered by Adobe.

On the other hand, the CS2 appeal comes from knowing that managing the
digital image workflow in Bridge is a guarantee that there will be full
compatibility across the entire Adobe product line since Camera Raw and
Photoshop are all part of a package that was designed from the ground up to
work together (including, hopefully, color management).

One another thing, however, also speaks in favor of Aperture and that is the
fact that the software was designed by the same company that designed the
hardware it is meant to work on. I doubt that Adobe knows Apple's hardware
as well as Apple itself. This could very well be a guarantee that Aperture
has been designed from the ground up to take full advantage of the new Mac
line's performance capabilities including the new quad processor PowerMac
G5.

I guess we will have to wait and see. But outside the convenience of working
with Adobe CS2 which may be more tempting for some users, Aperture is bound
to put a lot of pressure on the other RAW processors including Capture One
Pro, RawShooter (only on Windows) and SilverFast DCPro Studio.

The software is scheduled to start shipping in 6 to 8 weeks. So unless we
have someone on this forum who happens to have ties with Apple, we will have
to wait for almost 2 months until we start hearing (or reading) the first
reviews.

Best regards,

Joseph

---