Re: here's one for the consipacy theorists! - typewriters and old school Techno?

>>>So I guess you'll need to go have it printed at Kinko's!, or buy a type writer.>>>

I collect vintage typewriters (for the collectors on the list, I love old Royals – anyone else?). I also talk to lots of other collectors.

Forget the yellow dots and consider the trail left by typewriter users. All the Gubberment needs to do is start looking for people that bought typewriter ribbons, new Selectric balls, replacement platens, and repair parts. Not many sellers of such items these days, so the dinosaurs on the list can probably be tracked.

Type produced on a typewriter is as distinct as a fingerprint, so confirming that one of my machines wrote a nasty gram is perhaps easier to do than decoding the dots produced by a computer printer.

Also consider this fact: at one time the FBI collected typewriters, inks, ribbons, and paper samples. They have/had a huge collection covering perhaps every make and model on the market. So in a way, the idea of tracking a specific machine is by no means a new idea. They analyze the letter, identify the specific machine, find all dealers, find a judge, get a warrant, and look at the sales records of every dealer in Utah. And there I am, thoroughly identified.

The last new typewriter I bought came from AT&T. It was slightly computerized and if I wrote a threatening letter, the machine could be identified and traced back to me. So how is that any different than what is being discussed on the list?

Bob