Photography and the law U.K

No doubt those UK members of this forum will have heard the report on the BBC yesterday... A graphic designer needed some photos of a motorway. So he went and started to take some of a motorway in Hampshire. The police stopped and searched him under Section 44 of the Terrorism Act of 2000. They do NOT need to provide or even have any reason to do this. Anyway, the police argued that he could be taking the photographs of a motorway in pursuance of an act of terrorism, and he was issued with a caution, presumably not to take photographs of a motorway!

Virtually anywhere is now a potential terrorist target according to the Deputy Chief Constable and police have to protect the public from terrorist activities.

I quote:

"For example, Hampshire police stopped more than 4,400 pedestrians and vehicles since 7 July, compared to just under 700 between 2003 and 2004. Assistant Chief Constable Simon Cole, of Hampshire Police, defended his force's use of the powers: "We contain the home of the Army, the home of the Navy, lots of significant points of infrastructure; airports. Our job is to stop those places being attacked," he said."

And from being photographed, presumably.

No doubt a camera shutter could be wirelessly linked to a previously planted bomb...

See  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4368524.stm

Sorry, I'm not about to join the conspiracy theory. No need. This report is factual.

Hoard