----- Original Message -----
From: "howard"

: I recently went to an exhibition of photographs by a group of very
: disadvantaged* youngsters in London. They knew nothing of Ansel Adams,
: Charlie Wait, Heather Angel, Roland Barthes, Susan Sontag or any other
: photographer or critic.

: I was stunned, as was my friend, because their ideas owed nothing to
: anyone who had gone before, but were so fresh and exciting - and
: different in their expressiveness.
:
: Sadly I cannot find any web reference to their images.

maybe here?
http://www.fotokids.org/en/gallery/?locat=Gallery&PHPSESSID=5da78a11028124a
8bdeb23eaeba59de8 (watch the wrap)

"Two of the older students were able to go to London to participate in the
exhibit's opening and to do two-week internships in graphic-design at
Giraffe and Reuters News Agency"

other galleries of images made by kids:

http://www.geocities.com/kidswithcameras/

http://www.theworldthroughmyeyes.org/english/swcc.html

http://www.dejolie.com/Frame%20Pages/My_World_Gallery.htm

and something else that caught my eye on a page somewhere:

"Why Eyes in Some Paintings Seem to Follow Viewers -- Source: Newswise,
September 20, 2004. "You've seen it in horror movies, or even in real-life
at the local museum: a painting in which the eyes of the person portrayed
seem to follow you around the room, no matter where you go. People have
described the effect as creepy or eerie, and some have thought it
supernatural. But now researchers have demonstrated the very natural cause
for this visual effect - All it takes for the effect to work is to have the
person in the painting, or photograph, look straight ahead, said James
Todd, co-author of the study and a professor of psychology at Ohio State
University. Our visual perception takes care of the rest."